The world is more connected than ever. With the introduction of smartphone technology, apps are more robust and aimed at achieving goals quickly, with websites changing their appearance based on the device being used. People are able to do business in their own time, not restricted by metrics like opening hours or location. In essence, the internet has grown into a very real experience.
User-centric companies are rising to the fore, not only in South Africa but globally. Companies like Uber, Amazon, Airbnb, and Dropbox are but a few that have made a significant difference to the way we do business. We are moving into the Fourth Industrial Revolution and user experience design has never been more relevant or key to the success of an online product or service.
By focussing on effective visual design and user experience, designers can build a product or service that stands out amongst competitors and that keeps a user engaged and loyal to the brand. Additionally, a meaningful user experience allows a business to define customer journeys that are most conducive to business success.
Subject Matter Expert
Pierre entered the web design industry in 2001 armed with a multimedia design diploma and a marketing diploma, and he has been evolving ever since. Pierre has worked as an art director, HTML/CSS developer, UI designer, UX designer, digital marketer, content creator and general project manager for various agencies and design houses in and around Cape Town for the past 19 years.
Pierre’s passion for teaching UX started five years ago when he established the first-ever UX training course in South Africa and he has trained numerous UX designers who are currently active in the industry today.
With the freedom that online education brings, CityVarsity Online students can upskill in their own time, from almost anywhere on earth. Well, anywhere where the internet is accessible, that is. But although our students may roam far and wide, they are never far out of our minds.
Each course is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready and waiting to guide and assist their learners throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor, who is assigned to your course, is trained to build each student up to reach their fullest potential. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit from this course, you require the following:
- Stable internet connection
- Firefox/Microsoft Edge/Chrome web browser (latest version)
- Adobe Acrobat, or similar PDF viewer
- Microsoft Word/Pages (ability to export documents as PDF files)
- Email/Cell phone for notifications and communication
- Ability to scan and upload documents
How We Engage with Students
Our online short learning programmes are broken into self-paced manageable modules designed to be interactive and engaging:
- The programme is available to be viewed on smart devices and includes mobile, tablets and personal computers.
- Relevant case studies, articles and recommended reading are part of supplementary resources available.
- Apply and evaluate what you have learned in each module with the self-grading quizzes and assignment submissions
- View a range of Introductory course videos by your Subject Matter Expert.
- Scheduled live webinars are included with the Online Academic Tutor.
- Network, collaborate and interact with your fellow participants and Online Academic Tutor via the discussion boards.
Upon successful completion of your course, you will be awarded a CityVarsity Online certificate.